Perfect for any celebration but ideal for your child’s next party, the rainbow smarty cake recipe is a cinch to get right with the hardest thing being not to eat the Smarties!
- 80g unsalted butter – softened
- 280g caster sugar
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 240ml whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- food colouring in all primary colours (red, blue and yellow)
- Preheat the oven to 190°C and spray 2 8″ round cake tins with oil spray and line base with baking paper
- Using a hand held electric whisk, beat together the butter, sugar, flour, baking powder and salt on a low speed until the ingredients resemble fine breadcrumbs
- Pour the milk into a jug, add the eggs and whisk together
- Pour three quarters of this mixture into the dry ingredients and beat on a low speed to combine
- Raise the speed to medium and continue to mix until smooth and thick
- Pour in the remaining milk mixture and keep mixing on a medium speed until all the ingredients have come together and the batter is smooth
- Separate the batter into 4 bowls
- Colour using the food colouring: x1 blue x1 red x1 orange x1 yellow TIP: Make the colours very strong
- Pour the batter into the cake tins a spoonful at the time TIP: DO NOT MARBLE as this may make your colours turn muddy
- Bake for 20 minutes or until skewer comes out clean.
While the cake is cooling make the frosting.
- 400g icing sugar
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 160g unsalted butter – softened
- 50ml whole milk
- 12 tubes of smarties (or 450g) perhaps get more for eating incidentals.
TIP: Sort your Smarties into coloured piles first
- Whisk the icing sugar with butter on a low speed until the mixture is sandy in consistency
- Pour in the milk, still mixing on a low speed, then increase the speed to high and whisk the frosting until soft and fluffy
- When the cakes are cool, spread a layer of frosting between the 2 cakes. Then spread frosting all over the top and sides of the cake
- Starting on top in the centre start placing your Smarties. Work your way round in colour batches
This cake got a lot of attention at the party and it tasted delicious and moist. So if you want a high impact cake with little effort and skill required you should definitely give this one a go!Leave comments or tag us in your own creations on social media!