What better way to show mum how much you love her by actually putting some handmade love into her gift this year. DIY is WAY better than store bought, and super easy with these instructions.
Top 5 DIY gifts for mum
#1 Glitter Dipped Mason Jar Vase
Spruce up a simple mason jar for a glamorous gift idea.
What you need:
- Mason jar
- Fast drying gold spray paint. Opt for a shine finish spray for an elegant look
- Spray adhesive
- Gloss spray
- Fine craft glitter in gold
- Painter’s tape
- Plastic bag
Turn your jar upside down on a piece of cardboard and spray a light coat of gold paint to prevent running.
Let jar dry for 1 hour if cool or 30 minutes if warm. Repeat step one till jar is fully coated.
Once jar is dry, tape off area you don’t want glittered with painter’s tape and your protective plastic bag. Spray uncovered section of jar with spray adhesive and sprinkle with glitter. Seal glitter with gloss spray. Allow to dry. Gently and slowly remove painter’s tape.
Notes: Be cautious with jars as spray paint will chip if scratched, and run if wet on outside.
via © 2014 The Home Styling: Marj Silva Photography: Dara Tippapart
#2 Sharpie Mug
Such a simple, quick and customisable DIY gift idea for mum.
What you need:
- Sharpie Pens or any oil based paint markers
- Plain Mug (the cheaper the mug the better this project works)
Wipe down the entire mug with alcohol wipes to remove any grease or oils from your fingers that may be on it that would cause the ink/paint to not soak in to the glaze.
Draw on your design – you can find some inspiration on our Pinterest Board
Let it dry for 24 hours.
Once dry put it in the oven prior to turning on the heat, so a cold oven. This allows the mug to heat up along with the oven so that it won’t crack. Start your 30 minutes once the oven reaches 220°. Also, once the 30 minutes are up, turn the oven off butleave the mug inside until the oven is cold. Again, this is so the mug won’t crack with any abrupt temperature changes.
#3 Vanilla and Honey Sugar Body Scrub
What you’ll need:
- 1 1/3 cups of coarse, raw sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of dark brown sugar
- 1 1/3 cups of sunflower OR extra-virgin olive OR grapeseed OR almond oil
- 4 tsp honey
- 4 tsp vanilla extract or 2 vanilla beans
- 4-6 vitamin E capsules
#4 Teacup Candles
Scavenge your local second hand store/opportunity shop to find the teacup and saucer and up cycle it into something you just know your mum will love.
- 100% Soy Wax
- Fragrance Oil
- Colour block (optional)
- Wick tabs (You can also get pre tabbed wicks)
- Hot glue gun or wick stickers (for holding the wick in place)
- Icy pole sticks (for making sure the wick stays in the right spot when pouring)
- Weighing scale
- Double Boiler OR Big saucepan for boiling water and a small one to place inside for the wax to melt
- Teacup and Saucer
For full soy wax candle pouring instructions please head over to our DIY Soy Wax Candle article.
#5 Dip Dyed Utensils
What you’ll need:
- Wooden Utensils
- High gloss food safe shellac
Very simple just tape a line where you want your paint to end and paint a few coats of your paint.
Once dry go over it with the high gloss food safe shellac.
Small side note, however, you should hand wash these, as any wooden kitchen accessory and be mindful of the painted area if using them to cook as it could melt or chip.